Eight Ways to Build a Healthy China
I. Comprehensively deepen medical and health system reform
Carry out joint reforms on medical treatment, medical insurance and medicine; push for separation between medical and pharmaceutical services and establish and improve the basic medical system covering urban and rural residents.
● Fully promote public hospital comprehensive reform, abolish profit-driven mechanisms, reduce running costs, phase out the regulation that drugs were sold at higher prices than wholesale, promote reform of medical service prices, and improve public hospital compensation mechanisms.
● Build a modern hospital management system, ensure the independent legal status of public hospitals, and establish a salary system in line with the characteristics of the medical industry.
● Improve the essential drug system, deepen reform of the drug and consumable item circulation system, and improve the drug supply safeguard mechanism.
● Encourage new drug research and development, and give priority to putting innovative medicine in the medical insurance directory.
● Encourage social forces to join health services, and push for equal treatment between non-profit private hospitals and public ones.
● Strengthen supervision of the whole industry, improve medical service quality and ensure medical safety.
● Optimize the work environment for medical personnel and improve the medical dispute reconciliation mechanism to realize harmonious doctor-patient relations.
II. Improve the universal medical security system
● Improve the medical insurance sustainable financing and reimbursement ratio adjustment mechanism, and the perfect opt-in payment policy for medical insurance.
● Fully implement a serious illness insurance system for urban and rural residents, and improve major critical disease relief and disease emergency rescue mechanisms.
● Reduce medical costs for major and chronic diseases.
● Reform medical insurance management and payment, reasonably control medical costs, and achieve a sustainable balance for medical insurance funds. Improve personal accounts and carry out overall planning of outpatient costs.
● Increase the medical insurance opt-in rate to above 95 percent in urban and rural areas.
● Accelerate the basic medical insurance settlement for cross-region medical service and realize inter-province direct settlement for hospitalization expenses for relocated retirees.
● Integrate the medical policy and management between rural and urban residents.
● Encourage commercial insurance institutions to participate in medical insurance operations.
● Integrate birth insurance into basic medical insurance.
● Encourage development of supplementary and commercial medical insurance.
● Explore a long-term care insurance mechanism and carry out pilot work on long-term care insurance.
● Improve the medical liability insurance mechanism.
III. Strengthen major critical disease prevention and control and basic public health service
● Improve national basic and major public health services, and raise the service quality, efficiency and equalization level.
● Improve the community-level public health service capacity.
● Strengthen the development of capacity in women and children’s health, public health, cancer and mental disease control and prevention.
● Implement a chronic disease comprehensive prevention and control strategy, and effectively prevent and control cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, respiratory disease, other diseases and mental illness.
● Strengthen major infectious disease prevention and control, reduce public hepatitis b virus infections, keep the HIV/AIDS epidemic in check, bring the incidence of tuberculosis down to 58 out of 100,000, basically eliminate schistosomiasis, and eradicate malaria and leprosy.
● Take care of major endemic disease prevention and control.
● Strengthen port sanitary quarantine capacity development and strictly guard against major communicable diseases from abroad.
● Carry out occupational diseases census, prevention and control.
● Increase free supplies of special drugs, such as those for HIV/AIDS prevention and control.
● Strengthen public health education and upgrade health awareness.
● Vigorously promote the banning of smoking in public places.
● Conduct an in-depth patriotic health campaign and healthy city construction.
● Strengthen the national nutrition program and mental health services.
IV. Strengthen maternal and child healthcare and reproductive services
● Fully implement a hospital childbirth subsidy system, and offer pregnant and lying-in women free basic healthcare services throughout the entire birth process.
● Strengthen comprehensive prevention and treatment of birth defects, and establish free birth defect prevention and control services covering every stage of pregnancy and birth for rural and urban residents.
● Comprehensively improve maternal and child health service ability, step up prevention and treatment efforts against major women and children diseases, raise common women disease screening and early detection and treatment rates, and strengthen disease control and prevention of child injuries.
● Fully implement nutrition improvement programs for children in poverty and neonatal disease screening programs.
● Reduce the infant mortality rate to 7.5 out of 1,000, the mortality rate of children under five to 9.5 out of 1,000, and maternal mortality rate to 18 out of 100,000.
V. Improve the medical service system
● Optimize medical institution layout, and promote function integration and service model innovation.
● Strengthen cooperation among professional, community-level public health institutions and hospitals; perfect the community-level medical service model; push forward general practitioner ability improvement and electronic health records; and carry out contracted doctor service for families.
● Comprehensively build a tiered system of diagnosis and treatment; focus on improving basic medical service ability, service network, and operation and incentive mechanisms; implement a differentiated medicare payment and price policy; form scientific and orderly medical treatment; and realize treatment for acute and chronic diseases.
● Strengthen medical and healthcare team development, implement a national health and medical personnel safeguard program and general practitioner and pediatrician cultivation and application program, and improve standardization training system for resident doctors.
● Push for medical resources to go to central and western regions as well as community and rural areas by improving working environment and salary.
● Improve the multi-site practice system for doctors.
● Fully implement clinical pathways.
● Improve health information service and big data application capacity, and develop long-distance and intelligent medical treatment.
● Realize 2.5 practicing (assistant) doctors per 1,000 people.
VI. Push for traditional Chinese medicine inheritance and development
● Perfect the traditional Chinese medicine healthcare service system, conduct innovations of TCM service models, and upgrade community service capacity.
● Strengthen construction of the TCM clinical research base and scientific research institutions.
● Carry out TCM health service.
● Carry out TCM resource census, strengthen TCM source protection, and establish ancient TCM book database and knowledge base.
● Accelerate TCM standardization development and upgrade the TCM industry.
● Build breeding facilities for mass, authentic and endangered medicinal seeds, and promote traditional chinese medicinal materials plantation.
● Support ethnic medicine development.
● Promote appropriate TCM technology and help TCM service go global.
VII. Widely carry out public fitness campaigns
● Implement a national fitness strategy.
● Develop sports undertakings, strengthen construction of mass fitness venues and facilities, and provide free or low-cost use of public sports facilities.
● Implement a youth sports promotion program; cultivate youth sports hobbies and skills; popularize football, basketball, volleyball, ice and winter sports; and improve the adolescent health monitoring system.
● Develop mass fitness leisure projects, encourage a fitness system between working hours, and implement scientific fitness guidance.
● Promote comprehensive and coordinated development of mass and competitive sports. Encourage social forces to develop the sports industry. Prepare work for the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games.
VIII. Ensure food and drug safety
● Implement a food safety strategy. Improve the food safety legal system, raise food safety standards, strengthen source governance, fully ensure enterprises live up to their responsibilities, implement regulations, raise supervision and inspection frequency, increase random monitoring coverage, and carry out whole industry chain traceability management.
● Carry out national food safety city development campaigns.
● Deepen drug and medical equipment review and approval system reform, and explore review agency reform in accordance with independent legal person governance models.
● Push for graded and categorized management of drug operation companies.
● Speed up improvement of the food regulatory system, and build a food and drug safety management system that is strict, efficient and involves social work.
● Step up rural food and drug safety management, and improve supervision of online food and drug sales.
● Strengthen supervision of imported food and drugs.